|Day of Infamy|
|Next mission||Pearl Harbor|
|Game||Medal of Honor: Rising Sun|
|Place||USS California, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii|
|Date||December 7, 1941|
|Multiplayer map||Battleship Raiders|
Day of Infamy is the first mission in Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.
- Get Topside
- Extinguish Fire
- Defend USS California
- Assist Engineer
- Save Crewman
Get above deck as soon as possible. Help any survivors you can find. Defend the USS California against the Japanese attack.
The unexpected attack by more than 300 Japanese naval aircraft devastated the US Pacific Fleet; twenty-one ships were badly damaged or sunk, including eight battleships. The surprised sailors and Marines fought with the flames and wreckage of their own dying ships as well as with the enemy planes.
- Fire Extinguisher
- Browning Automatic Rifle
- Winchester Model 12 Shotgun (Unusable)
- Oerlikon 20 mm cannon
The marines and sailors scramble from their beds.
Jack Lauton: "Move it you maggots, move it! Topside! Lets go! Topside On the double! Hurry up!"
Griffin runs into the hallway. An engineer runs past him.
Engineer: "I can't breath in this thing!"
Dispatcher(Loudspeaker): "General Quarters, General Quarters, man your battle stations; this is not a drill, all hands to General Quarters."
The engineer runs into a pile of wires and is electrocuted.
Guide: (coughing) "It's only dust. Joe Griffin? Follow me Marine! We need to get topside right now!"
The guide runs through a barber shop.
Marine 1: "They're all over the place! They're all over the place!"
The guide continues through the post office and up a set of stairs. An explosion causes a pipe to jut up through the floor.
Guide: "Come on Mac, jump over!"
Another pipe juts through the wall and nearly misses him".
Guide: "Watch it! Crouch under, Let's get out of here!"
Several marines and sailors run from a door on the right.
Marine 2: "Get the hell out!"
An engineer named Bishop K closes the door.
Bishop K: "Oh damn, the hatch!"
Joseph helps Bishop close the secondary hatch.
Bishop K: "I got it! You boys get topside, give em hell!"
Sailor: "Over here! I found the exit!"
Three sailors are taking a break. An explosion kills them all and knocks the Guide backwards. A fire blocks Griffin's path. The two grab fire extinguishers. They put out the fire.
Guide: "Good job Griffin, let's get goin'".
The guide runs ahead when an explosion hits him and kills him.
Crewman: "For God's sakes. Help! In here! We're trapped!"
Griffin puts out a fire blocking a doorway, then enters to see an injured crewman trapped by fire. He puts out that fire so another crewman can get to him.
Crewman: "He's still alive, I'll take care of him."
Griffin leaves them, putting out more fire. He comes to the kitchen where the cook is fighting the fire with water.
Cook: "I need a fire extinguisher! Gimme that thing!"
Griffin passes the extinguisher to the cook who puts out the fire. The cook tries putting out another fire on the machinery. In the cafeteria, several soldiers lay injured on the floor.
Injured Marine: "Save us! Use the phone! Call headquarters!"
There is nothing Griffin can do as the marine dies. Griffin enters the adjacent hall. A sailor tries to climb the stairway ahead. When Griffin reaches him, bullets fly into his body and knock him back onto the floor.
Sailor: "The sky's full of 'em...... Ugh! Get up on deck!"
The sailor dies and Griffin climbs onto the deck.
A Japanese plane crashes into the USS California. Two sailors running alongside the crash are killed. Griffin walks up to Gunny Lauton.
Jack Lauton: "Time to earn your pay marine! Now you snap out of it! Snap out of it!"
The nearby machinegunner is killed.
Jack Lauton: "Pick a target, lead 'em and hose 'em."
Novotny G: "Help me take 'em out!"
The battle ensues, many planes are shot down.
Novotny G: "Damn, we're at war now!"
A final torpedo hits the California, sending Griffin and many other marines over the side.
- When the guide moves through the mail room, there is a large net covering a room. Use the machete here to open up the room.
- When moving through the first hallway, there will be a sailor dressed in all white standing around near a staircase. When you approach him, a burst of steam hits him in the face. By the sailor there is a vent. Use the shovel on the vent to get the unlimited ammunition cheat.
- This canister is located behind the net in the mail room.
- In the barber shop, the small orange chest is against the wall. It unlocks the Navy Engineer multiplayer skin.
- In the cafeteria there is a pie on the table you can eat to restore your health.
- Shooting the torpedoes in the water instead of the airplanes makes the battle last a considerable amount of time longer.
- Only Gunny is armed with a Shotgun, while other crew member arm with Browning Automatic Rifles. Despite the medium and long range of fighting, using shotgun is useless in this situation. This may be a possible reference to General George Patton, who was claimed to have been aggressive and crazy enough to attempt to shoot down German planes using an M1911 pistol.
- Gunny using a shotgun may also be a reference to Tom Sizemore's character 'Earl' in the film Pearl Harbour. During the attack on his airfield, Earl pulls out a shotgun and shoots at the Japanese planes directly above. He uses it again in the airfields tower when Ben Affleck's character 'Rafe' brings a Japanese fighter right by them.
- This is the only level where players can use the Fire Extinguisher and BAR.
- The crew members that the player saves are still inside the ship. Thus, leaving their status unknown.
- When exiting the bunk room, a man in a gas mask can be seen running by. In his quote, he state that he cannot breath in the gas mask. Historically, it is claimed that most sailors discarded and/or avoided wearing gas masks due to difficulties with properly equipping them and seeing with them. Thus, explaining why the sailor unknowingly ran into the electrical wires.
- If player turns back at his bed, he will see that it is heavily decorated. Oddly enough, Joseph is the only member of the crew in the bunk room to have customized sleeping quarters.
- If the game is played in Co-op, about 95% of the NPCs are absent, (such as the Guide, the man in the gas mask who runs into the wires, and the Chef present in the kitchen, and most of the npcs present shooting at the planes).
- The textures on the pie found in the cafeteria appears to be slightly off position as slight portions of the pan's texture can be seen in the actual pie.
- A soldier with an orange shirt present when Gunny wakes the soldiers up runs through a stack of beds instead of past it.